Before selection can take place, several factors should be considered and reviewed to determine their effect on the application. First, we need to consider the key components of the fastened assembly. The following diagram shows a typical fastened assembly using an anchor
Some critical items to consider in the selection of a product include the following:
1. Base material in which the anchor or fastener will be installed.
2. Loads applied by the fixture or material to be fastened.
3. Anchor or fastener material and the bolt / threaded rod.
4. Installation procedures including the method of drilling or the installation tool used.
5. Effects of corrosion.
6. Dimensions of the base material including the material thickness, anchor or fastener spacing, and edge distance.
The installation of post installed anchors , adhesive anchors, mechanical anchors and screw anchors shall comply with Table 1704.32. The installation of post installed anchors shall include the verification of compliance with approved design documents and standards established by the Building Commissioner pursuant to the NYC Building code.
Read the NYC DOB bulletin to get more information about the Design , installation and testing of post installed anchors. This documents explains in detail all the required items which require thorough investigation and set out the procedure to complete the installation.
Read the NYC DOB Bulletin.